Eye Health Concerns (Professional Assistance Preferred)?
Hello, I have a few questions…I’d prefer advice from an optician or other eye professional or someone who’s been using glasses/contacts for a long time. This got a little long.
1. My job requires me to use a computer for long amounts of time and I’m frequently on the computer at home, sometimes late into the night. I’m a heavy computer user. I’ve read that heavy computer users are at higher risk for eye conditions like myopia and glaucoma and that this harms how well you can see far away because it’s a close-focus and high eye stress activity. I blink and look away from time to time when my eyes feel dry or stressed, but when I look in the mirror, I can see red vessels that are present only after computer use. What do those mean? I’m thinking it’s just eye strain but I’d rather be sure. I guess the sum of my question is “Does heavy computer use harm your eyes?”
2. I wear glasses. Without them words of this size on a computer screen get blurry when it’s more than 1-1.5 feet away from me. I tend to get closer to the computer, but I suspect that would only make it worse…if I keep doing this and other close-focus activities such as reading small print, will my eyeglass prescription eventually become stronger? Before I started wearing glasses, my vision wasn’t perfect (obviously), but I recall being able to make things out better. Now, it seems that my vision has worsened. I wonder if this is why.
3. Eye improvement…I’ve been looking into vision exercises that claim to improve sight…I’ve done a few of them and they seemed to improve my eyes’ focus for a short period of time but I haven’t faithfully committed to these so I can’t speak for them. In the opinion of an eye professional, can these help improve vision over time? I’ve also been wondering about eye care supplements with lutein (e.g. I-Caps). Some friends of mine had pills like these suggested by their doctors. I don’t have any serious problems like glaucoma or macular degeneration…since I don’t have any problems with my eye (that I know of), will these have any preventative effect for me? Could they improve my vision? I’m not looking for any “magic cure”, just something to help out.
4. This one’s for my daughter…she doesn’t need corrective glasses, but wants to wear this special type of contact lens. I think they’re called “circle lenses” or “big eye lenses” or something for cosmetic enhancement. I’ve looked into allowing this. They appear to be only available online. I have some doubts about the websites I’ve seen as a) none of them look even remotely professional, b) they’re manufactured in Korea, Japan, etc. and I don’t know about their safety and sanitation standards and c) I don’t know if the material they use is the same used in the U.S…they look like soft lenses, but I’ve read that they’re worse for your eye sight either because of the material they use or its larger diameter, depriving the eye of more oxygen? They run for about $30-$40 for contacts that will last a whole year or two. I’m doubting these, but if there are any safe suppliers of a similar FDA-approved version from the U.S., or whether we should just skip these all together. Her eye sight is not worth a weird eye :/ But I have read from some people who use them that they’re just like other soft lenses, which is why I’m unsure.
5. And a sort of random but related question – can you sleep in RGP (Rigid Gas Permeable) lenses? Do you just leave them on and not remove them or do they need to be taken off like soft lenses or are they worn continually until they’re due to expire?
P.S. – I can’t afford LASIK.